Today I partnered with Got Milk to bring you this yummy recipe!
For a long time dulce de leche for me was not that one that looks like caramel, it was this kind: curdled milk dessert. My mom used to make it a lot and it was one of those desserts I asked for constantly.
This curdled milk dessert is not common but I think it represents our culture very well so I made it a long time ago as a gift for one of my sisters in law. She really liked it and recently she asked if I had made it again but no, it’s been a while!
Since Thanksgiving is coming up I decided to make this and I will take it for our Thanksgiving dinner. We usually have an intimate dinner at my father in law’s and adding the extra latin dish is something I love to do!
This dessert is only made with milk, sugar and lime. It’s not necessary to serve a big portion because it’s very sweet so I thought it would be perfect for after Thanksgiving dinner which is usually a lot! It’s easy to make but it just takes time to cook (about 2 hours so plan ahead).
As you know the California Milk Processor Board has the new campaign Milk Fuels a Better Future campaign, so I found it a great fit to create this dessert filled with milk that will make the kiddos healthy and strong so they can enjoy the future.
CURDLED MILK DESSERT
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups and 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoon of lime juice
- Peel of 1 lime
- Place the milk and the sugar on a pot on high heat and let it boil (watch it closely or it might bubble out of the pot!)
- Add the lime peel and lime juice and stir, let it boil for about 5 minutes and then simmer without a lid for about 2 hours
- Watch it and stir it occasionally
- If you want it darker, let it sit for longer time
DULCE DE LECHE CORTADA
DULCE DE LECHE CORTADA
- 4 tazas de leche
- 1 1/2 tazas y 1 cucharada de azúcar
- 2 cucharadas de jugo de limón
- La cáscara de un limón
- Monta la leche con el azúcar a fuego fuerte hasta que hierva (está muy pendiente porque la leche puede subir rápido y botarse!)
- Añade la cáscara y el jugo de limón, revuelve y déjalo hervir a fuego alto por 5 minutos
- Bájalo a fuego lento y déjalo cocinar por 2 horas mas o menos
- Observalo siempre y revuelve de vez en cuando
- Si lo quieres más oscuro lo puedes dejar cocinando un poquito más.