For our family that has a mix of 2 cultures is very cool because we mix lots of foods all the time. Like I mentioned before I haven’t made Hallacas but I’ll make them someday! Meanwhile we buy them already made and enjoy them Christmas Eve. But what I CAN do are other traditional venezuelan foods that help us celebrate this part of our culture during the holidays.
Something very venezuelan traditional and that I make all the time are arepas, and there is a sauce called guasacaca that is very traditional too (not usually for the holidays) but that I have never made.
Guasacaca sauce is like a the venezuelan version of guacamole, it has more of a vinegar/relish base and it goes well with barbecued meats or well, with anything you want to eat it with! I thought it could go well with bollitos (Another similar tamal-like food that comes from the Hallaca) but we won’t have bollitos so I made little arepas to eat with the guasacaca like an appetizer, it’s yummmmy!!
Here is my recipe for guasacaca sauce, it is super easy and it can have many variations, you can add tomatoes, you can blend it all and have it more creamy, anyways it is delicious, try it!
Guasacaca sauce recipe
- 1 Avocado (The size of the bigger Avocados from Mexico)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 green onions finely chooped (the white and the green part)
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Juice of half of a lime
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
Chop half of the avocado and mix in a container with all the other ingredients.
Blend the other half of the avocado together with 1/2 cup of the above mix in the blender and add it to the rest of the mix. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored campaign with Latina Bloggers Connect and Avocados from Mexico. As always all stories, ideas and opinions are 100% my own.
- 1 Aguacate (De los grandes de Aguacates de Mexico)
- 1 cebolla cortada en cuadritos chiquitos
- 1 pimentón verde cortado en cuadritos chiquitos
- 3 cebollines cortados chiquitos
- 1/4 de taza de vinagre de vino
- 1/4 de taza de aceite de oliva
- 1/4 cucharadita de pimienta negra molida
- 1/2 cucharadita de sal
- El jugo de medio limón
- 1 cucharadita de perejil picadito